Saturday, December 18, 2010

Snacember 18

In a very strange twist, I have discovered that one of the best holiday side dishes, easy to make, excellent reheated, travels well, can be eaten room temp or hot, and goes beautifully with the traditional Christmas  proteins of ham and crown roast of pork and prime rib and turkey is....



Noodle kugel.

Yup.  That very traditional Jewish dish of egg noodles in a creamy slightly sweet custard, the centerpiece of the Yom Kippur breaking of the fast, and the Rosh Hashanah brisket playmate, it really is delicious with everything!  And I love the idea of incorporating dishes from other traditions in your holiday meals.

So here is my family's recipe.  I often double it and make two to bring to the buffet, since it is great for breakfast as well, and means the hosts don't have to get up early and fix something for themselves and any houseguests.  I also sometimes bake it in muffin tins for pretty individual servings.

Noodle Kugel


16 ounces broad egg noodles
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
16 oz.cottage cheese
16 oz.sour cream
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4-1/2 cup sugar

Cook noodles in boiling salted water according to package direction. Drain and rinse with cold water. In a large bowl, mix the noodles with the melted butter, cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan. In a separate bowl, mix the cornflakes, cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle the cornflake mixture on top of the noodle mixture. Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the top is brown.

Yours in Good Taste,
The Polymath

5 comments:

  1. I love that you're doing this as a Christmas recipe. I brought one to my Catholic MIL's for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit. :) One question - do you adjust the baking time when you make it in muffin tins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do check it about 10 minutes earlier when I do it in the muffin tins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, perfect. My dad makes it but never gave me a recipe, so now I will try yours! Excellent! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a savory version with caramelized onions. Totally yummy.

    ReplyDelete